Additional Information

Reemployment Services

Studies completed by the U.S. Department of Labor found that people who received reemployment services returned to work earlier than people who did not receive services.

For individuals that are required to search for work, IWD uses profiling to select individuals to participate in Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment (RESEA). Profiling looks at a variety of factors such as occupation, industry, education, length of employment, wages, etc. Participants are selected within the first five paid weeks of their claim.

RESEA is designed to assure individuals are registered for work with IWD and to provide customized reemployment services. If selected, participation is mandatory as it is a condition of eligibility for UI benefits. Non-participation could result in a denial of benefits.

Participants will receive a letter informing the claimant where to report and what documents to bring. Participants must contact their RESEA Advisor prior to their scheduled appointment if they are unable to attend.  Appointments may be rescheduled for justifiable cause.

This program is an overall eligibility assessment review of a UI claim. The participants meet one-on-one with a RESEA Advisor to discuss:

  • benefits and requirements of the RESEA program including how non-participation can affect their UI benefits
  • assess their UI eligibility and address any possible UI issues
  • review the record keeping of claimant’s work searches and discuss their work search process
  • provide the claimant with Labor Market Information (LMI), briefly review their resume                                      
  • review the claimant’s registration in IWorks to ensure that it is properly completed
  • schedule claimant for a IowaWORKS Center Orientation workshop
  • schedule claimant for National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) testing to be completed within 30 calendar days of RESEA assessment
  • refer claimants to additional reemployment services/activities such as; resume writing, Future Ready Iowa, WIOA, ex-offenders services etc. when employment barriers exist
  • develop or revise Initial Service Plan (ISP) that will include work search activities, accessing services provided through IowaWORKS and self-service tools

Department Approved Training 

Individuals attending school or a training course may request to have IWD waive the work search requirement. A written application for Department Approved Training (DAT) should be submitted to IWD. The application must include the following information:

  • Name of the school
  • Type of training
  • Class schedule
  • Beginning and ending dates of training

A decision will be issued approving or denying the request. The decision will include appeal rights. Although the work search requirement is waived, the individual must continue to be able and available to attend school. The individual must also file a weekly claim to receive payment while they are in school. If training stops for any reason, the individual must notify IWD and begin making work search contacts immediately.

Training Extension Benefits

Individuals attending school or a training course may apply for Training Extension Benefits (TEB) to receive an additional 26 weeks of benefits. TEB is available to individuals who:

  • Meet the eligibility requirements for UI Benefits
  • Are an Iowa resident
  • Are separated for one of the following reasons:
    • Laid-off
    • Voluntarily separated from a full-time position in a declining occupation
    • Involuntarily separated from a full-time position due to a permanent reduction of operations at the last place of employment

In addition to the above requirements, the school or training course must be one of the following:

  • High demand occupation as defined by IWD
  • High-tech occupation or training approved under the Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

​TEB is only payable after all other UI benefits are exhausted. The TEB application and lists of high demand and declining occupations are available on the IWD website.

Military Wages

Individuals who served on active military duty during the base period can file a UI claim in any state as long as they are physically present in that state at the time of filing. To add military wages to a claim, the individual must have served on active duty in the Armed Forces or served at least 90 consecutive days of active service in a US Military Reserve Force. The individual must provide a copy of their DD–214 (member copy 4) to determine if military wages can be used on the UI claim. 

The US Military service, not IWD, will determine if the earnings can be used on a claim. If the wages can be used, a new monetary record will be sent to the individual. If the request to add wages is denied, the individual will receive a decision with appeal rights. The DD–214 may be submitted any of the following ways:

  • at a local IowaWORKS Center
  • by fax to the UI Military Unit at 515-281-4057
  • by mail to:
    UI Benefits Bureau
    PO Box 10332
    ​Des Moines, IA 50306-0332

Federal Wages

Federal wages are not assigned to a state until after a UI claim is filed.  An individual who worked for the federal government during the base period must report this employment when filing a UI claim. IWD will send a request to the federal employer to determine if the wages can be assigned to Iowa. Once wages are assigned, a new monetary record will be sent to the individual.

Combined Wages Claim

Individuals who have worked in Iowa and other states during the base period may request to have their out of state wages added to the Iowa UI claim. Out-of-state wages will only be combined with the Iowa wages if the additional earnings will increase the WBA or MBA. The individual has the option to file in any state where an employer reported earnings for them during the base period.

Interstate Claim

Individuals who move out of Iowa must immediately notify IWD of any address change. Mail from IWD may not be forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service. Individuals who are required to do work searches must contact the workforce agency in the state where they reside to register for work. Individuals should still file their weekly claim in Iowa. Benefits   will continue to be paid by Iowa until the individual begins working, exhausts benefits or the benefit year expires.

Trade Act

Trade Readjustment Allowance and Trade Adjustment Assistance are programs available for individual who are unemployed or underemployed due to increased foreign imports. Affected employers must be approved by the US Department of Labor. For more information contact a local IowaWORKS office or IWD.

Release of Information 

UI claims are confidential by law. Individuals may request a copy of their records by submitting a signed, written request to IWD or by contacting IWD by phone. Only general information may be given over the phone. Wage information may be provided to a third party only if the individual provides IWD with a written, signed request.

As required by law, IWD will release information on UI claims to various federal and state agencies if requested.